Muscle mass is important to both longevity and quality of life. As we age, we naturally lose muscle mass, which can lead to a number of health problems, including decreased strength, mobility, and balance. Here are some of the benefits of maintaining muscle mass:
- Increased strength and power: Stronger muscles can help you perform everyday activities with ease, such as carrying groceries, getting up from a chair, and climbing stairs.
- Improved mobility and balance: Muscles help to support your joints and keep you upright. As you lose muscle mass, you may become more prone to falls and other injuries.
- Reduced risk of chronic diseases: Muscle mass is linked to a lower risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and osteoporosis.
- Improved metabolism: Muscle tissue helps to burn calories even at rest. This can help you to maintain a healthy weight or lose weight.
- Better quality of life: People with more muscle mass tend to have a higher quality of life. They report feeling more energetic, independent, and confident.
There are a number of things you can do to maintain muscle mass as you age, including:
- Strength training: Strength training is the best way to build and maintain muscle mass. Aim to do strength-training exercises two to three times per week.
- Eat a protein-rich diet: Protein is essential for muscle growth and repair. Aim to eat 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight each day.
- Get enough sleep: Sleep is when your body repairs and rebuilds muscle tissue. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
- Manage stress: Stress can lead to muscle loss. Find healthy ways to manage stress, such as exercise, yoga, or meditation.
By following these tips, you can help to maintain your muscle mass and improve your health and quality of life as you age.
If you are unsure where to start, contact us! Our team of exercise and nutrition coaches can help build a customized plan, just for you (and your partner/friends!) irrespective of where you are in life. It’s never too late to start. Just click the blue FREE INTRO box and select a time to come in for a ‘No Sweat Intro’ (no working out, just a chat).